The Providence Fellowship of Young Adults (FYA) was founded in 1996. Major goals of the FYA include encouraging young people to remain active in the church following high school graduation, helping them continue to grow spiritually, and providing opportunities for them to continue to serve God by serving others.
Want to get in touch? Email us at .
Congratulations to the Class of 2021!
Our annual Off-to-College Workshop was held on Saturday, July 31, 2021 from 10:00 - noon. Thanks to our hosts, attendees, parents, grandparents and friends who supported us. Continue to stay safe and healthy.
A discussion of the Providence Fellowship of Young Adults (FYA) should begin with a discussion of the Providence Youth Fellowship. The Youth Fellowship is comprised of students in grades 6 – 12. Youth Fellowship advisors involve students in activities which primarily focus on Christian education, cultural activities, and community service. In the summer of 1986, Dr. Howard Chubbs, who was the pastor of Providence at the time, asked Drs. Robert and Sandra Howard to serve as advisors for the Youth Fellowship. They agreed to do so, and under their leadership, programs increasing the involvement of young people in the church and in the community were begun.
In the early 1990s, several Youth Fellowship members who were getting ready to graduate from high school spoke to Drs. Robert and Sandra Howard about a concern that they had. The young people brought up the fact that Providence did not have an organization which would allow them to continue to work and fellowship together as a group after completing high school. The students indicated that they would like to have such a group.
The Howards relayed the students’ wishes to Dr. Chubbs, and he agreed that a new organization should be started for that segment of Providence. He also said that he would appoint new Youth Fellowship advisors so that Drs. Robert and Sandra Howard could serve as advisors for the new ministry. Thus, Providence’s Fellowship of Young Adults was started. Mr. Willie Reynolds agreed to work with the Howards as an FYA advisor.
The FYA held its first meeting in September 1996. Major goals of the FYA include encouraging young people to remain active in the church following high school graduation, helping them continue to grow spiritually, and providing opportunities for them to continue to serve God by serving others.
FYA members, many of whom had grown up at Providence together, continued to work together on various projects. Some of their projects are described in the "Our Activities" section below.
The FYA was founded in 1996. Since that time, they have completed several service projects and participated in other activities. Several of those activities are listed below.
- Helping the Youth Fellowship raise CROPWALK funds to feed the hungry in the Greensboro area, as well as throughout the world.
- Sending Christmas and Easter cards to sick and shut-in members of Providence.
- Teaching SAT Preparation classes.
- Sending cards of congratulations to high school and college graduates.
- Attending an annual retreat, which includes Christian Education sessions led by Rev. Vaughn Phipps and Rev. Natalie McLean.
- Team-building activities such as the ropes course at UNCG and interactive presentations led by Henry Revell, Rodney and Elaine Harrigan, Sherrice Alston, and other representatives from various businesses, colleges and universities, and other organizations.
- A trip to Holy Land USA in Bedford, Virginia, where discussions of the history and significance of Biblical lands take place in an environment similar, to some extent, to the environment in the actual places being represented.